Sunday, July 8, 2012

Junque Yard - veggies and fruits galore!

I need to brag just a little. I just bought nearly a metric ton (slight exaggeration) of fruits and veggies. Some from the farmer's market, some from a local discount grocery store, and some from a local restaurant supply chain store that had some good sales. You tell me if I did a good job

From GFS (the restaurant/party supply store:

  • Two 5lbs bags of natural frozen chicken wings.
  • Two 4lb crates of fresh strawberries
  • Various 1lb containers of spices.
 Total spent = $45.00




From Sav-A-Lot (discount grocery)
  • 2 huge bunches of bananas
  • 2 cantaloupes
  • one bag of sweet onions
  • 2 bags of carrots
  • 4 kiwis
  • one bag of grapes
  • 2 whole chickens
  • 2 packages of 1/2 ground beef & 1/2 ground pork
  • 1 large package of diced fresh beef for chopsuey
  • one cabbage
  • coffee
  • 12 avocados
  • one pineapple
  • and probably some more things I'm forgetting
total spent = $65.00

From the Farmer's Market 
(I should preface this by saying it's still early in the growing season here in the Midwest, and therefore there isn't a lot of harvesting veggies available)
  • bag of green beans
  • bag of scapes
  • 2 seedless cucumbers
  • several bunches of small onions
  • several heads of garlic
  • one large head of kohlrabi
  • one small container of early tomatoes
total spent = $15.00

That's a grand total of $125.00.  I feel like I did great, and got a lot of bang for my buck. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment