Thursday, April 12, 2012

Junque Food - using up your Easter eggs...

How do you use up your Easter eggs now that Easter is over, and all eggs have been found by the kidlets. Well, unless you lived in my childhood household, where one egg managed to stay hidden for months. It was eventually found in the frame of a large portrait in the living room. None of the adults in the house took responsibility for being too clever to hide an egg where no one would ever look for it.

But I digress...

So, to you just shell and eat your hard boiled eggs? Make egg salad? or how about deviled eggs?

BTW, deviled eggs....doesn't that sound downright sinful for a pagan/secular symbol used to celebrate a religious holiday?

But they are so tasty...whatcha gonna do?

The filing in Deviled eggs is so varied and interesting. There are regional favorite ingredients galore to choose from, as well as family variations that old lady's will fight to the death to get their paws on.

I personally like a simple mix of yolks, mustard, mayo (not miracle whip), sweet pickle relish, and a sprinkle of paprika on top. If I'm feeling frisky, I'll blast it with Sriracha sauce.

But the interwebz has oodles and oodles of different recipes, from the sublime to the haute - and you don't have to fight Grandma for the recipe either...I want to try them all:





Caviar Stuffed Deviled Eggs from Better Homes and Gardens












Ranch Deviled eggs, I like this because the vessel is peppers and tomatoes, a really interesting twist! (also from BH&G)









Or how about Spicy Southwestern Deviled eggs? These sound awesome!  (from myrecipes.com)










and OMG! Bacon Cheddar Deviled Eggs.  My arteries are crying for their mommy right about now... (from allrecipes.com)



And lastly, this one could easily become my Mom's favorite: Blue Cheese and Bacon Deviled Eggs (from kitchendaily.com). Too bad they didn't have a picture to share.

So, do you hate me yet?  Don't be a h8r, dude...just go make some deviled eggs, and invite me over, OK?

P.S. Don't forget to crush those egg shells and throw them in your compost, or mix into the soil of your gardens...calcium is always appreciated by your veggies and flowers.

2 comments:

  1. It seems you & I share the same views on deviled eggs.

    Speaking of composting. I like the idea of growing my own veggies but I need idiot-proof medthods. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Start with Containers. Go slowly at first. Like planting an onion that has sprouted and using the shoots as green onion. Study what you want to grow

    ReplyDelete