Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Junque Food - "Stock"-ing up in more ways that one

Yesterday DaHubster casually mentioned that it might be time to make stock.  See, I take our leftover food bones, chicken, beef, pork, and freeze them in bags until I get enough to make stock with. In the summer time, I do the same with all my garden veggie peels and ends.

When I get a good sized baggie full, I dump it all in my stock pot, and throw in just enough water to cover, Bring to a quick boil, then simmer for a few hours.

then I drain the home made stock, and put the liquid into ice cube trays and freeze. Then take the frozen cubes of stock and store them in freezer bags.  Each frozen stock cube is about 2 tablespoons of liquid.

I use the stock in almost all of my cooking. there's no salt, like there is in commercial stock or broth, and a few cubes is a great way to enhance flavors in just about anything you are cooking.

And it's not really a hassle to do, since you don't have to watch the stock pot when it's simmering. You don't have to watch the cubes freeze. 

It's a great thing to do on the weekends, when you're running around cleaning or whatever. Makes for healthier eating too.It's a great way to get a little extra sumpin-sumpin out of bones that you are just gonna throw out anyway. And, best of all, it cuts down on your grocery bill if you dont have to buy broth.

Now, start saving your bones & veggie peelings, people! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment