Sunday, May 8, 2011

Junque Food

By request: Broccoli / Cabbage Slaw Recipe
(or Brocco-Slaw as my family calls it)

If you prefer, you can shred your own broccoli/cabbage/carrot mix in a food processor. Cut the florets off and use them for another dish and shred the stalks.

If the stalks have an uber-tough  skin, peel it with a potato peeler first.

Using only the stalks will keep the texture of the slaw more consistent, as the buds on the florets will degrade into mush. And it's a great way to get 2 uses out of one veggie. 

(I bought a bag of pre-cut mix because it was on sale for $1.50 a bag)

Measurements are approximate, adjust for your own tastes and balance
  • One bag of shredded broccoli / cabbage OR shred your own broccoli stalks, purple cabbage and carrots in a food processor.
  • 1/2 onion diced
  • 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup olive or light veggie oil
  • Spices of your choice, I used dried basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Thyme would be a good choice, too.
  • No more than 1 teaspoon of sugar, honey, or agave nectar (to cut the acidity of the vinegar)
  • Optional: If you want a creamier slaw, you can add a large scoop of sour cream or mayo, but it really doesn't need it.

Mix thoroughly, then mix again. You want to get as much vinegar coating everything as possible.  Store in the fridge overnight, stirring when you remember.  There will be lots of liquid in the bowl, so use a slotted spoon when serving.

I found that the flavor was better after sitting for 2 days, and was still awesome 4 days after making.  I was using it as a topper for tacos, and it was PHENOM(A NOM NOM).

I want to try this slaw again, but with an oriental flair to it. I will probably use rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, and a drop (no more than) of sesame seed oil.  Maybe some lemongrass? I don't know. My attempts in the past have not been very successful in getting a light and flavorful taste, so I'll keep playing with it.

2 comments: