Monday, December 19, 2011

Musings from the Junque Pile - Loofah update

Yeaaaahhhhhh....another posting that didn't get posted when I wrote it ages ago.  Ah well...I did update it with how the loofah is doing now...

How’s it going?  Loofah...how you?

Some of my faithful readers will remember that I had a loofah plant that was started too late in the season and it didn’t start producing baby loofah blossoms until early fall. So daHubster bless his heart, lugged in the 50 gallon container it was planted in, trellis and all.

It sits in front of the one south facing windows in the house. It needs a lot of water. It puts out a blossom or two a week. I’ve had 2 or 3 fruits set since. However, once the fruit grows to about 2-3 inches it withers and dies. Not sure why.  It could not be getting enough water. I’ve stepped up my water to every other day. The weather hasn’t been too sunny lately, so it might not be getting enough sun. I honestly didn’t think it would pollinate itself, but that doesn’t seem to be problem, since it has set a few in the time it has been inside.

I’m about ready to concede failure of The Great Loofah Experiment. But I won’t, ‘cause I’m stubborn like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment